Both victory and a little hate filled the air yesterday after it was announced that former Vice President, Joe Biden, had chosen Senator Kamala Harris has his running mate and when (not if, but when) Biden wins the election against current President Donald Trump, Harris will be the first woman to hold the position of Vice President in the United States.
Whether you are for or against this selection, there is still celebration to be made, but to be honest, the ones who are against Kamala, are mostly the ones being “petty”. Okay, so she prosecuted several Black men, but not all Black men who go to trial are innocent and some actually are out there doing the crime, so they have to pay the price to learn from their actions. Let’s get back to the current news.
According to NBC News, Biden finally made his decision, “which comes more than a year after Harris, who was also a 2020 Democratic candidate, clashed with Biden over racial issues during the first primary debate. If elected, she would be the nation’s first female, first Black and first Asian American vice president.”
Also according to The Root, Which basically means, if elected, Biden is killing three diversity birds with one Howard University grad. Harris, who is 55, but doesn’t look a day over 37 because Black, is expected to energize Biden’s ticket because no one is hyped about Biden, 77, but they will be about Harris.
Here are just a few of Harris’ other stats that make her more than qualified for the position:
- In 2017, Kamala D. Harris was sworn in as a United States Senator for California, the second African-American woman and first South Asian-American senator in history.
- She serves on the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, the Select Committee on Intelligence, the Committee on the Judiciary, and the Committee on the Budget.
- She has spent her career in fighting injustice. It’s a passion that was first inspired by her mother, Shyamala, an Indian-American immigrant, activist, and breast cancer researcher.
- After earning an undergraduate degree from Howard University and a law degree from the University of California, Hastings, she began her career in the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office.
- Having completed two terms as the District Attorney of San Francisco, Kamala was elected as the first African-American and first woman to serve as California’s Attorney General. In this role, she worked tirelessly to hold corporations accountable and protect the state’s most vulnerable people.
- Over the course of her nearly two terms in office, Kamala won a $25-billion settlement for California homeowners hit by the foreclosure crisis, defended California’s landmark climate change law, protected the Affordable Care Act, helped win marriage equality for all Californians, and prosecuted transnational gangs that trafficked in guns, drugs, and human beings.
The fact of the matter is that Mrs. Kamala Harris has a proven track record and we has Black people need to stop criticizing each other over petty matters. Yes, Stacey Abrams would have made a good candidate as well, but Biden chose Harris. Yes, Harris did her job as a prosecutor and sent men to jail who were actually guilty and needed to learn from their mistakes.
And finally, what difference does make whether or not Harris is married to a Black man? Her personal and private affairs and who she chose to marry has nothing do with her career endeavors and how she conducts her job.
Today, just celebrate a Black women who is making progress in such a hateful and twisted world. The community wants the narrative to be changed right? So congratulate those who are actually making steps to change it.