We live in the age of technology. The time of thinking of meeting someone online, dating them and maybe even marrying them as taboo, has passed. Today there are over 100 dating sites around the world and the market is growing.
African American dating sites are beginning to make up a large portion of this market as well. Recent statistics show that 42 percent of Black women and 43 percent of colored men have never been married compared with only 21 percent of White women and 27 percent of White men. Those singles that are determined to find love and start a family, are turning to non-traditional methods.
Here are the top five reasons why online dating has become so popular among African-Americans.
1. The Media Influence“The media routinely focuses on Black women not being able to find “suitable” mates” (Hazel). Black women have a lot of pressure on them to find a husband and have children. However, the success of women academically and in the work place continues to be scrutinized. Women feel that they need to be superwomen dominating all areas of their life including their love life.
2. Traditional dating has become inconvenientWith the increase of Black business men and women, love has been put on hold. Tight time schedules, deadlines, conference calls, and business meetings are priority. For most, there is no time for a social life outside of the office.
3. Traditional dating has become disappointingWe have all heard the sayings, “a good man is hard to find,” and “all the good Black men are taken.” Women are tired of going to the bar, nightclubs, and cultural events and still meeting the same losers. Some men try to go to church to find a “good woman” but even that fails at times.
4. Compatibility and chemistry is aided with toolsWith just a click you can learn almost everything about a person. Instead of spending months trying to discover their ambitions, goals, and morals, you can simply read their profile. Whether or not it’s true or not is another story.
5. It’s easier!Technology has spoiled us. We communicate through telephone, email, text message, and social networks. It’s not surprising that many people turn into mutes when they come into physical contact with another human being. We have forgotten how to properly communicate. The computer gives a person a shield and a certain air of confidence. There are many problems that come with online dating such as safety and truth. Many people pose as safe singles whose actual character and status is anything but. Still, African Americans have been bit by the online dating bug and they seem to be enjoying it.